You lessen your chance of injury when you practice safe sets. How do you do this?
- Warm up before sets by stretching. Continue stretching the bodypart you are working between sets.
- Increase poundages gradually on each set. I don’t take more than a 5 pound increment on dumbbell exercises, 10 to 15 pound increment on machine movements, and 20 pound jumps on leg presses and Leg Blaster Squats.
- If you are going heavier than previous workouts, work up in weight for 3 sets, not 2. Sometimes I even do 4 sets of an exercise when establishing higher poundages.
- Make sure that your negatives are always slower than the positive phase of the repetition. This keeps the weight in the groove, makes the weight feel heavier to the muscles and enables more muscular growth.
- Develop a piston-like rhythm on each repetition. This will give you a better pump.
- Always keep your muscles warm while training. You should never train in a tank top in cold weather. I start my workouts with a T shirt and sweatshirt on and take the sweatshirt off as my upper body muscles warm up.
- Apply liniment to sore muscles to help them stay warm during your workouts. I often use ultrasound on sore areas before workouts with liniment as a coupling gel. This sends heat deep down to the muscles and tendons.
- DMSO may be called for if you have tender areas that you are going to train. The drawback of course is the garlic taste in your mouth and smell of your breath.
- You may need to rest longer between sets if you are using weights that are heavier than usual.
- Don’t do forced reps or go to failure on the positive phase of a rep. I never use spotters, but instead use weights I’m sure I can control.
- The alternatives to forced reps and going to failure are doing rest-pause (stop your set when the weight feels heavy, rest for 20 seconds, then do a few more reps in strict form) and drop sets (on your last successful rep, immediately go to a lighter weight and do a few more reps—this works great with dumbbells).
- For muscle growth, go to negative failure on the last rep of your last set on one or two exercises in your workout.
I do this on the Soloflex front press by doing an isometric stop on the way down on my last rep, holding it until the weight starts to lower on its own.
- On the day following your workout, rest the muscles you worked on the previous day completely. My policy is to never train upper body two days in a row. This has really helped my shoulders stay less injury prone.
- To full isolate the muscle you are working, do your reps through a range of motion that only works the intended muscle. For example I don’t lock out on incline dumbbell press in order to keep tension on the pecs and not on front pulldown either in order to keep tension on the lats.
- Your goal with each set is to get a good pump, not to see how much weight you can use.
Going too heavy too soon tends to work the joints more and the muscles less. Experiencing safe sets will enable you to train hard longer without injury… Remember: injury is what stops you.
- 91 Day Wonder Body Book & DVD Bundle. The hottest program sweeping the nation for MEN & WOMEN to get in the Absolute Best Shape of Your Life https://www.frankzane.com/shop/91-day-wonder-body-bundle/
- 10% off Frank Zane ala carte books – 91 Day Wonder Body, High Def Body, Let’s Grow, Symmetry & Supplements!
ENTER COUPON CODE BTB at checkout!
- NEW Discounted Bundles of Amino Acids, L-Glutamine Crystals, Vita-Minz Plus and more! https://www.frankzane.com/performance-stacks/
- ULTIMATE BODYBUILDER BUNDLE – Zane’s 3 BEST SELLING Books & DVD Bundle ($40 off!) https://www.frankzane.com/shop/ultimate-bodybuilding-bundle/
- Train with Zane DVD – Learn the exercises & the correct form. 10% off with COUPON CODE BTB at checkout
- Hi Def Body Book – Zane’s Encyclopedia of his best Exercises with over 330 pictures!! 10% OFF with Coupon Code BTB at checkout https://www.frankzane.com/shop/high-def-body/
- Symmetry Book – 10% OFF with Coupon Code BTB at checkout. Frank Zane’s Autobiography with some of his best tips for building the v-taper and also his stories from the golden era days.
- NEW Legendary Zane T-Shirt – A MUST HAVE for die hard ZANE fans! $6.00 off automatically when you buy any 2 T-shirts https://www.frankzane.com/products/apparel/
- ZANE TRAINING EXPERIENCE Automatically get a free Train with Zane DVD sent to you when you sign up for any training session or Private Posing Clinic